Monday, July 13, 2009

Could i sue my old High school??

I am 27 and planning to attend college and when i called my old high school for my transcript they informed me that they didnt have my full transcript and had me in the computer as a withdraw/dropout!! I graduated and have my physical diploma at my house.
I was wondering how many past employers have checked my references to find out i dont have a diploma when i actually do and how many jobs i might have lost in the past 10 yrs because of my high school's mistake.
Could they be held financially resoponsible??
A Indiana high school
Answers:
About 7 or 8 years ago, I used to work in Human Resources. Part of my job was performing background checks on prospective applicants. This is how it worked:

The hiring manager would look through all the resumes. He/she would choose, say, 20 promising resumes out of the 100 that we received. He/she would then give me those 20 resumes to run through our background/criminal checking software.

If John Doe claims on his resume that he graduated from ABC High School, got a 2-year degree from XYZ college, and worked at Widgets Inc. for 1.5 years, I plug all that information into the software, send it over the internet to our background/criminal investigation vendor, and they come back to me with verification of John Doe's credentials (plus other information about whether or not John Doe has ever been convicted of a crime, or if John Doe has really bad credit, etc. etc.).

So, if John Doe CLAIMS on his resume that he graduated from ABC High School, but the background check comes back and says that he, in fact, was a dropout/withdrawal as evidenced by ABC High School's computer records...you know what would happen?

I would put the printout of the background check showing that the credentials on John Doe's resume are inaccurate and false. The hiring manager would look this over, and say, "John Doe is a big fat LIAR!" and throw the resume in the shredder.

Your high school should be held responsible for keeping shoddy records...somewhere along the line, someone screwed up. They are messing with people's lives. I don't know if you can sue them for this. Honestly, it's doubtful that you can. However, you should write the high school, write the school board, and write the town paper and make this information public. You should also show up in PERSON to the high school, and the school board, to make sure they got your letter. Stand up for yourself, and make a big stink. Unfortunately, that is the only way to make people take action. You worked for four years to get your high school diploma.
I'm sure you could, but it'd take a very long time.
How are you going to prove that it actually caused you to miss out on a job? That's what you would have to do to have a case.
I would suggest going to a law firm that does free "consultations". See what they say about it, there usually correct.
Take care of the problem at hand first. that is the Problem,
today, we have degraded into a litigious Society.
Based on poor sentence structure and less than stellar punctuation alone.
2 clay. some employers keep past information for a long time. that would be his only help if possible.
as for the school i would get a lawyer asap. thats hella messed up.
I doubt it the statute of limitations probably ran. You should go talk to them.
You would have to take them to court and hire a lawyer to support and argue your case. But I think you would have ot argue HOW it caused you to miss a job oppitunity.

Plus, the money will be taken from the school.. thats from kids who are learning. Is that right?
I'm sure you probably could but there is also a statue of limitations on any lawsuit the average citizen would want to file.
In your case you are right how many former employers looked up your past high school to see that you dropped out of high school even though you know you graduated and have your diploma that could affect your hiring of prospective employers no doubt about that.
If you want to,I mean now pursue this talk with a good lawyer before going that route,I mean lets be serious now a days you can sue anybody but you also have to have a valid reason a good lawyer and he/she better know what their doing else it could cost you financially and personally good luck.
I suppose you could sue, but you would have prove that you lost jobs because you did not have a HS degree. Which is hard to prove because very few employers check that, they either ask you for a copy of the HS degree, or just take your word for it. But if they did check with the school and the school said "no" and that is the reason you lost the job then and only then do you have a case.
Contact a local attorney. You can also contact the school board. Yes it is negligent. However you can only prove 1 time it affected you. Make sure they correct their computer system to reflect that you DID graduate.
you gotta have more than just a dipolma..grad. pics, yr. book, an old teacher thats still there. and no you cant sue...1st...all them jobs you applied to, you would have to prove you were denied because of that. every job app doesnt get checked all that thouroghly. most end up in the trash because of how your app. wasnt filled out.says use black ink only, you only have blue, ..trash...cant follow directions.
to many blank lines, trash...says fill out completely...your time would be better spent, with the school, and alot faster, and cheaper than the court system.....

No comments:

Post a Comment