Monday, July 13, 2009

Court summons-re?

I was pulled over for speeding--cited reckless driving. This is my first offense and I am worried about what will happen in court. What should I expect? sentence wise and what I have to say in front of the judge? Should I ask for driving school (I'm not sure if it will work since it is reckless driving, a misdemeanor here in VA)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Answers:
'fess up, and pay the fine. don't worry, they won't take away your birthday.
dont try to explain it away..traffic schoool...fine...
It would be best to speak to an attorney who handles these types of cases to prepare for Court on this serious charge.

I am no proponent of just fessing up to whatever an over zealous police officer may have decided to charge you with.

In NY State the charge requires another person to be actually endangered and is also a misdemeanor. Its sometimes charged by NY Police when not appropriate. (source: personal knowledge) and a conviction for a misdemeanor typically requires you to reveal it whenever you apply for a job for the rest of your life. Serious business.

Speak to your lawyer about whether what happened is serious enough to satisfy the VA requirements. You will be much better prepared for possible sentence, what to say in Court and whether driving school will help, after doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment