Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Denied consideration for a job because I can't speak spanish?

I just applied for a job in a regional steak house chain location in Dalton Ga. But the manager, told me that even though I was well qualified for the job, couldn't consider hiring me because his entire kitchen staff spoke Spanish only, and because I don't speak spanish, I couldn't work there. The manager admitted he didn't know but two words of Spanish himself. Now, I'm just a Caucasian American guy who was born near here. and I've never seen this before! He interviewed a Mexican guy before me, who couldn't speak English, ( I'm not making this up, I swear!) " I almost hired him.." the manager said, "but he didn't have a social security card". Is there something wrong with this picture? I don't think I'm being prejudiced, but I'm really upset. Can it be that they don't have to learn English to come to America to work, but I, an American citizen, has to learn their language to work with them?
Answers:
Sorry, but language skills are not a protected class, therefore someone can be discriminated against for not being able to speak the appropriate language. Furthermore, the US does not have an "official" language (and some localities have even passed ordinances approving of two or more "official" languages--Spanish almost always being one of them).

Not to offend you, but it doesn't sound as though you were qualified for the job. If everyone speaks Spanish, how do you expect to communicate with them if you cannot speak Spanish. Think of this analogy: if you were applying to be a secretary in a deaf-rights lobbying firm. Everyone in the office speaks ASL (American Sign Language) and no one speaks English. Would you consider yourself qualified for that job?
And guess what, by not being a member of the minority, grab your ankles...
Well, it IS the employers decision on who to hire. You just have to understand that what the manager is speaking ("I want someone who speak spanish") isn't exactly what he means ("I want someone who will work long hours for crappy pay").

I had almost the same thing happen. I was working for a temp agency after I retired out of the Army, and a very high pay position opened up. When I didn't get it, the temp agency coordinator said "They said they wanted someone with a British accent [this position is in Texas, for chrissakes] because most of their business is done in Europe". I replied to her: "You mean, I'm not a 17 year old girl with big ****, right?".she just nodded.
While it may suck for you, unfortunately you just weren't qualified. Sorry and better luck next time.
I feel you. I wish you could mention the name of the steak house without fear of repercussions, because I would boycott them.
I really agree with you and yes I would consider that prejudice. I'm not a prejudice person either, but i do believe that the English language should be taught to them instead of non speaking Spanish people learning their language. Are you sure they are legal?
Unfortunately, you don't meet the needs of that employer.

That said, I'd be tempted to call the local Department of Immigration and Naturalization Service and report that restaurant as potentially employing a lot of illegal aliens. Legal immigrants would likely have learned to speak at least some English before they were naturalized. If none of the workers speak English, I'd bet a dollar to a donut that they have fake IDs and SSNs and 90% of them are illegal.
I know your telling the truth, I see that happening in the city I live in too. This is called 'reverse discrimination', file it, and sue the guy. This is a prime example of exactly what is happening already and is only going to get worse, if some thing is not done to stop Congress now!
Well, if you can't communicate with your fellow workers, how are you going to function in the job? The manager wants someone who will be able to communicate with the other workers.

Low-skilled jobs are often filled by people from other cultures, because the locals (in your case English-speaking) get the better jobs. So if you want a job where you can speak to your co-workers, you need to look higher up the chain. Or else learn Spanish.
Why not contact the local newspaper and share your story?
I'm certain the citizens of Dalton would be very interested.
Maybe they will boycott the restaurant.
I hope so.
I'm willing to bet that most of the kitchen staff are illegal aliens with false documentation. It is very common in Dallas area restaurants.
Call the INS and ask them to investigate the restaurant and the manager.

.
Wow...this sucks for you. It's a true case of a double standard - unfortunately because the crew was hispanic and spoke spanish - he needs someone who can speak spanish - point understood.

However - I guess I would question why this manager even bothered interviewing you - knowing he was looking for someone bilingual.

I totally understand why you're upset - this is very frustrating.

You have every right to be upset! Unfortunately there really isn't anything you can do at this time.

Good luck to you!
Please, calm down!!

This is not unusual at all. Many companies that are located in an area where the population speaks a native language require their employees to speak that language.

Many companies require their new hires to have a second language.

If the restaurant is located in an area where there is a high Hispanic population and most of the employees speak Spanish it is perfectly fine if he requires new hires to speak it too.

Quit crying and go find another job in another neighborhood.

You should try a restaurant is South Philadelphia where if you don't speak Italian, you can barely order dinner off the menu.

Get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment