Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Difficult case settlement?

Case settlement. Workers comp?

I had an accident on October last year, the first dr sent me back to work on lite duty then I was still on pain. I changed doctors then the other dr ordered an MRI and It showed that I had an herniated disc the mri report explained the pain but once the insurance contacted the dr, he changed his mind and he also changed his report, he said I am doing very well but I am still under pain and they want to settle my case for 10 thousand. My lawyer said its a good option since the dr said I am doing very well even though the mri report and the independent dr report show different things. I sense he might be on insurance side since he is rushing me to settle. what Can I do ? I am in georgia. And Its a self insured company.
Answers:
When the lawyer (a new one) gives you a figure, tell him to add his fees on top of that. Don't pay him out of your money. That's what I did 10 years ago. They offered $10,000 and the lawyer said take it so I told him to go back and get his money from them. He managed to get another $2,000 for himself and I got the whole 10k.
consult an accidental injury attorney ASAP. They will advise you. typically they require no payment up front and will accept accident cases on a contingency basis. They tend to get a much better settlement for clients, than those clients who work with insurance companies and physicians alone.

good luck to ya!!
There are many attorneys who will accept your case on a "contingency" basis. This means if they don't win, they don't get paid. The usual fee is one third of the settlement or award.

No comments:

Post a Comment