Saturday, August 8, 2009

Do I have the right to choose another doctor if I am on a free insurance plan?

I am 5 months pregnant and do not make much thus I get free insurance when it comes towards my medical expense regarding the baby. I do not trust the current doctor that watches over me and he seems incompetent and do not want him operating on me during surgery. Can I request another doctor under my insurance?
Answers:
You should call your insurance company and tell them you would like a second opinion and who can you see. I don't know about your government insurance programs, but I've never heard of one that did not give you some sort of choice of doctors or at least a second opinion consult. You can also say that the current doctor creeps you out and you want a female doctor. The trick is to keep calling your insurance company back until you get someone who is helpful, knowledgable and sympathetic on the phone. Try calling at different times/shifts if you keep getting the same people.
Sure you can change, you will prorbaly have to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment