Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Do I have a case for a lawsuit?

Listen, there was this girl who let me believe she was single. She, "despretely" needed 200 dollars to pay for her school...in which the deadline was the next day. I lent her the money. Then I find out that she's not single. So I start recording phone call convos saying she's single, I even have a video of a lunch date. Anyways, I show this to her boyfriend, and she absolutely flips. So she calls our job (we work together) and says that I asked her for sex in exchange for the money when she asked me in the break room. I was at home not at work. So now they are investigating me! Once they check cameras it'll show she is a liar as I only went in AFTER she walked out to meet me to give her the money. She even filed a police report on this event..about 4 weeks later when it was supposed to have happened. So once she's found a liar and probably looses her job for false accusationg, can I sue her? I want to so bad...like maybe Defamation of character? or Mental/Physical Stress? something?
Answers:
Any one can file a lawsuit. However, you are going to need a lawyer to guide and represent you if you decide to do so. Proof that you have been damaged is probably the guiding factor. To what degree if any you have been damaged is for a judge and jury to decide. Are you ready to bear the costs of the process? Your loss was $200 which is not a significant amount of money and your out of pocket expenses will greatly exceed that amount. A great adage to remember is "Neither a borrower or lender be." And if you do lend it get it in a witnessed contract. If the facts are as you stated then her biggest problem could be the filing of a false police report. Since you are under investigation I recommend that you hire a lawyer now to see you through it. Don't be over-confident in the outcome of the investigation. Different eyes see different things!
FYI no lawyer is allowed to answer your question, affirmatively or negatively, due to restrictions in the code of Legal Ethics.
I'm no lawyer but lets put it this way. Some person dying of cancer and in need of medical attention would like to have his or her law suit heard before they die. The courts don't need some guy who got snookered by a hot looking girl clogging up the courts. Get over it - move on.
no, you absolutely have no case, you have absolutely no evidence stating that you did or didn't say that and theres no lawyer in the whole world that would take that case. If there is one then an attorney would cost more than you get.
You may have a case for the $200 if you can prove that you lent her the money, and that she has not paid you back.

If she loses her job, you're rid of her presence. After that, what could you get if she's unemployed and was already unable to come up with the $200?

I can understand your want for revenge, but this is going to cost you a lot more than you will ever be able to get out of her. As for your revenge, let it go, and the Universe will take care of her (and of you).
Well, it may seem simple to you, but what if she says you gave her the money first and then asked for the sex in exchange? Your tape would back that story.

She and the prosecutor can twist it any way they want. "I kept the money because I desperately needed it and couldn't give it back." "He gave me the money and then asked me later to repay him in sex when I couldn't afford to pay."

If you haven't seen it in the news - sex crimes get prosecuted even when the evidence exhonerates the accused. And you don't even have that.

Welcome to the 21st century version of the salem witch trials.

I would get an attorney ASAP and give him the evidence. They need to get her statements BEFORE the evidence is out. Once the evidence is in the hands of the police they can manipulate her statements to make you look guilty. If you have her statements and can show they don't match the evidence then you have something to defend yourself with.

If your fortunate enough to avoid prosecution and/or won at trial. Then you can consider a suit. First things first.

No comments:

Post a Comment