Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Do employers have to pay medical bills for on the site injuries?

If I get injured while working and need to go to the emergency room, does the employer have to pay the bills?

I sliced my hand at work and when I went to the emergency room they said it was a work related accident, and to give them the employer information and they would send them the bill. But the guy just ignored the bill and now the hospital is coming after me for the money.

Aren't they supposed to pay? Do I have a legal obligation to pay, or does the hospital have to sue the employer if they want to collect? And if he is supposed to pay, but I have to in order to protect my credit, can I sue him back?

Also, the guy is withholding my last 3 paychecks because I quit right after the accident (he wanted me to keep working with half my hand sliced off, which was not the kind of enviornment I wanted to be working in). How do I go about collecting this stuff? Lawyer? Should I just report him to the government?
Answers:
Sue. It's your god given right.
Worker Compensation Insurance should pay for this.

Have some fun, watch to see just how badly the Workman's Comp Insurance get raped by the hospital/doctor (medical mercenary).
You are supposed to be covered under Workers Compensation insurance, if you have to pay the medical
bills then you can sue your employer.

Contact your local State Labor Board, your employer can
not withhold your pay, and must pay for your medical billis
and if you are unable to work until your hand is healed
you are entitled to disability payments (through the state)

You can (should) contact an attorney, in California Workers
Compensation will pay the Attorney's fees. Check your
yellowpages and find an attorney that specializes
in workmans comp.

My mother fell at work, broke her arm, so I took her to
Melvin Belli (pretty famous attorney back then)

No comments:

Post a Comment