Saturday, August 8, 2009

Do I have legal ownership of my car?

My grandpa died and part of his estate had a car. My grandpa had 3 kids (my mom being one of them). I was allowed to drive the car for a time period. The title was then transfered to me. I have now mentioned selling it and my mom says that the car is not mine and that title was transfered to me for convenience. I believe the car is mine and I have a right to sell. Am I correct?
Answers:
Legally the car is yours. Morally it is not. Listen to your mother. If you sell the car knowing it is not yours, your mother won't be able to trust you in the future.
If you are over 18 the car is yours. Ask DMV of your state, they will tell you the same thing. I assume no one told you when you got it title was transferred just for 'convienence.'
If the title is in your name, and you have possession, it's yours.
It's family and it's going to be a problem no matter how you look at it ,But , you hold the title, that generally means you own it. was there any stipulations when the title was signed over to you??
You are correct. If that title is in your name, it's your car. HOWEVER, don't ignore the larger relationship with your family. It's far more important than the car. And if you don't believe me, ask anyone beyond their teenage years.

No comments:

Post a Comment