Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Do i get pay and a half if i work overtime even though i am considered part time?

I just started a job and I'm 18 but the first 3 days i worked 44+ hours :-/ I work in the state of Texas down in Houston/Katy area. its my first job so i don't know really much of the laws and I'm sure as heck not going to let them make me work like a dog and then not pay for that of me because i just started to work. I'd really appreciate your responses. PS I am called by my boss "part time" employee... part time my butt :-/
Answers:
depends on your state laws ,and how they define "full" time (usually its 40 hours in one work week). However, if you work over 40+ hours then you are paid overtime for any hours worked over that 40 hours (in your case you'd get 4 hours of overtime pay)

Though, if you work for three weeks straight over 30+ hours, then your employer is required to file you as full time and provide you with medical benefits (in some states, its as little as 20 hours in a work week for 3 weeks straight for medical benefits)
anything over 40 hours in one work week is considered overtime and you should get paid time and a half for the hours over 40. Make sure your boss doesn't screw you out of your hard earned money cause you are entitled to it. If he doesn't pay you overtime pay then you can take him to the labor board and sue for the money he owes you
by federal law you must get time and a half if you work over 40 hours in a week, unless you are salaried or on contract which I doubt you are.
Anything over 40 hours a week is considered overtime no matter if you are considered part time or full time. Part time employees generally work less than 40 hours a week. Check with the wage and hour board in the state of Texas. The number should be in the government pages of the phone book under state of Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment