Wednesday, August 5, 2009

DO I HAVE A CASe HERE?

Can I sue HP for tricking me or not wanting to give me my money?

I got a HP notebook, it never worked, send it to them more than once and they did not fix it. Tried using some recovery disc to fix it, it did not work. They told me to get a new notebook and after that they told me that once I get the new one, I could send the old one and get a refund.

They lied to me, they have 1,800+ dollars that I payed for the first one, and a have a new computer that I also paid 1,800+ dollars. At the end, they got 2,600+ dollars and I got back two PCs back, one works, one does not work nor have ever worked.

Do I have a case there? I mean, they said that once I get the new one, I could get a refund for the old one. They made me pay for a second PC, and now they do not want to give me the refund, not even exchange the pc. I have spent over 40 hours talking by phone, and nothing has come out of all my time. They only say "a manger will call you" the manager NEVER call.
Answers:
Stop talking and start writing. Send the a certified letter with return receipt requested outlining the situation . Hopefully you have kept records of each person you spoke with and the date and the time. Include this in the letter that you send. Send photo copies of the receipts showing the amount that you paid to purchase both laptops. Send them these copies as well and be sure to mention in the letter that if you receive no response or if they cannot find a way to satisfy you, that you will contact the local news media's consumer help line. You might want to do this anyway, as many times they a very good at getting restitution to consumers for defective products. Many companies don't want the bad press. Good luck, sounds like a serious rip-off.
Sounds like a very simple warranty case.I wonder why they didn't just repair or replace the first one as they should have?

I've never heard of telling someone to buy a new unit before issuing a refund for a defective one. That definitely sounds fishy.

Always write down the name of everyone you talk to at HP, and also the date and time. Those calls are recorded, and that could conceivably work in your favor.
Make sure you keep a log of every conversation you have with them - who you spoke with, what they said, how long you were on the phone with them. This will be essential when you finally do reach a manager. Keep calling, keep sending email, and when you finally speak to a manager lay down the facts and records for him/her. They can and should give you a refund, it just sounds like they're trying to avoid doing that.

Trying to sue is going to be costly, but only a lawyer can advise you on whether you have a case or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment