Saturday, August 8, 2009

Do I need a lawyer?

I lived at my ex-boyfriends-he went to a furniture rental. He put me down as a spouse. We broke up.Since then he is now very behind on payments. I've no contact w/him. Rental place say they gave the case to an attorney w/my info also. I signed nothing there. I wasn't there when my ex signed the contract. I helped him pick out furniture %26 lived with him. But I wasn't on the lease at the apartments. I'm being harrassesed by them. I have no way to contact my ex. The rental place say an attorney will contact me. Now I know that it will not hold up in court because I signed nothing, but do I have to go that far? Do I still need a lawyer? I emailed the corporate office %26 told them the situation. The only thing-before I left him, the manager of the the place wanted $ from my ex. I was still w/my ex-I faxed from work a letter to the manager saying I was going to help my ex w/his budget %26 id make sure that my ex paid $. The rental place didn't mention the fax I sent. But I still signed nothing.
Answers:
The rental company is really reaching trying to hold you liable.
Its hard too answer this question without knowing about the surrounding circumstances in this case the letter you faxed. I hope it does'nt read like you have accepted responsibility for all his non payment..Fearfully i hope that does not work against you.
Since you did not sign a contract i still dont see how they can hold you liable without signature.If you do have to make an appearance you should speak with a public defender..Public defenders are for people who cannot afford legal representation and there are some good ones but they mainly deal with criminal laws regardless they can help you but only if you cant afford to hire your own...get it.? I hope this helps and if notsorry to scare you but there are so many twists and turns in this system that its hard too say ...When men can get away with murder before millions of people because they can buy the right attorney (oj)
I doubt everything this countrys legal system has made claim too since then and so should we all when we are now guilty before innocent..
You should tell the attorney when he calls that you signed nothing and he misrepresented that you were his spouse. I do not see how they can collect if they have no agreement with you.
You signed nothing, don't talk to them
If you didn't sign anything, then I'm not sure how they could say you owe them the money if they take the matter to court. Clearly your boyfriend lied on the contract because you're not his spouse. You should be all set.

If you're signature does not appear anywhere, you're off the hook! Your boyfriend cannot bind you to a contract. Only you can do that by signing it.
Do not even talk to these guys! It does not matter if you KNOW you are not liable for this debt, they are gonna push you until you give them money! This is the business of debt collection, it's a really aggressive and dirty field. You can reason and explain everything, they really don't care. They just need to bring in some money from someone. I'm serious. Get a free consultation from a lawyer though, some will let you come by and sit with them and give you advice.
You need an atty. You may have with your fax created a surityship (a legally binding promised to pay the debt of another)

No comments:

Post a Comment