Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Do I Have A Case Or Not?

Ok, I wanted to ask this before I go and bother an attorney with this. Let me know if you think I have a case or not. From 1998-2001 I worked for a company that was just starting out here in Central Iowa. Everything was great at first, then towards the last year I worked there, our paychecks started bouncing. The owner layed us all off instead of paying us, but we took him to court for the money he owed us, and won. It's now been six years later, and I'm noticing that my credit is ruined, and there are at least a dozen stores and businesses in the area where I can't write checks anymore, because of overdrafts caused by the bounced paychecks. Do I have just cause to sue for damages to my credit and to my name. I realize it's been six years, but I'm just now noticing all of this, because my ex and I shared a joint account the last five years, and her name was the primary on the checks, and now I have a single account, so all this has just now came up. Any help will do, thanks in advance.
Answers:
Yes, you do have a case, but it will be a difficult and expensive case. It's probably better to contact the credit bureaus directly and try to sort it out with them. If you can convince them of your story, they will adjust your credit file accordingly. If you cannot get them to cooperate, then go ahead and discuss it with an attorney. Good luck.
Have you been able to cash checks at these places until recently?? I'm a bit confused about this. If this has just started, then I would check and see what exactly is going on. Maybe your ex has something to do with it, and not your former employer. If its from your former employer or your ex, then I would say yes, you do have a case. I don't understand how it took six years for this to show up. Thats why I wondered about your ex. I would get a credit report if I were you before calling the lawyer. Sorry if I couldn't help more.
you already had your case when you sued for back wages. if you had additional damages, or anticipated additional damages, that was the time to claim them. While double jeopardy does not apply to civil actions, there is a comparable doctrine that prevents repeated lawsuits for the same acts.

No comments:

Post a Comment