Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Do Georgia Labor Laws allow employers to refuse employees breaks and lunches on a full day's work?

My employer has me work nine and a half hour days. I'm required to stand in this small area, basically in the same spot all day, without sitting, getting a break or taking a lunch. I can be on my feet all day, but standing on one place is killing my already messed up feet, knees and back. I've complained and asked to sit or for a stool but was told it's against company policy. I'm originally from MI where I'm pretty sure employers are REQUIRED to allow their employees two fifteen minute paid breaks and one un-paid thirty minute break if they work 8+ hours. I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but it's a hotel management company that I work for. I tried to find out the information online but wasn't successful. Thanks for your help!
Answers:
I live in GA and it is one of the only 14 states that does not have a law protecting an employee in this way. An employer can work you as many hours as they want and do not have to give you any kind of break, paid or unpaid.

Now, keep in mind, this is (nudge nudge wink wink) for your protection, since GA is a 'right to work state.' Meaning you can be fired for any reason-which protects you too-because you can quit for any reason. Stupid huh? Last time I heard, if I wanted to quit a job, I just quit. I don't have to ask anyone's opinion or let the job know if I chose not too. Well now the law has been made for you that you already had in the first place.

GA sucks tremendously on any kind of employee laws that actually benefit the employee.
It all depends. If they are small and do not have to abide by federal law then they can do as they please. If they have to abide by federal law then you have to have a break. Sadly in Georiga there is not a lot of worker's rights. They can pretty much do and say and they please unless they are large enough where federal law applies.
The fair labor standards act is a federal law, applicable thoughout the United States. Look up the department of labor in the phone book and give them a call.
Call the state labor department, hon...they can tell you.
Oh my god. I am not in the U.S but that definately does NOT sound right. Ring a workers rights agency or something , or talk to your Human Resources person. Just don't let him treat you like that anymore. Thats disgusting. Good luck sweetheart.

No comments:

Post a Comment