Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Discrimination based on gender?

I have worked at my job (a summer seasonal job) for two summers now. I came back this year and was offered a supervisor position, and a raise of .50 per hour to 9.00 per hour. I am one step below the assistant manager.
Two weeks ago my manager hires a MALE employee (she usually doesn't get male applicants). He is a SALES associate, and gets paid 11.00 per hour. He is young and okay looking, and my manager is in her 40's. He is my age, with less experience and a lower position.
All the other sales associates make a maximum of 8.50.
She fired a woman for being late every day, and when he is late every day there is no reprocussion. Another girl got fired for her register being short, his register is short almost every day, and he was working on her register that day but was never questioned (even tho the asst manager who was also on it WAS questioned)
We all have to pick up his slack since he does nothing but hang out with the manager all day in the office.
Is this discrimination?
Answers:
You shouldn't permit that, that is abusive and you should call the Labor Dept.
No. It is fraternization.

I would find out what the company policy states about fraternization, and I would bring it up the chain of command.
His rate of pay has absolutely nothing to do with you. You don't know what his past experience was, in spite of him having less experience, it could have been a higher volume store, thus giving him more knowledge. You should pretend you didn't see it. The things you can act on are him being late and the perceived relationship between him and the mgr. Partner with another store manager, call HR, and speak with your DM. They can coach you on how they'd like to handle the situation.
Sweetheart, retail sucks! Always has always will. My advice to you is to do what it takes to get a real job in corporate American, small business or look into starting your own business. In the working environment, there will always be discrimination. Sorry, but you'll just have to grin and bare it or move on. The thing about working for other people is that they want to know if you will do the job , can you do the job and do you fit. A no to any of those questions is an reason to move on to the next opportunity.
If you decide to fight this, and I think I would, then may I suggest that you start a diary of what you see. Get some hard evidence. Anytime it is your word agaisn't another person's word. The one that seems to have the most to loose will win. Understand that if you choose to persue this then there may be repercussions. It may not go the way you think it should. If it were me, I would start looking for another job while you keep this job. That way, if things blow up in your face then you have something to fall back on. Always have a back up plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment