Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Do employers have to give you a reason why you are being fired?

A few jobs ago, my employer terminated me, but my a$$hole boss wouldn't tell me why. I was so mad.
Answers:
Truthfully, it depends on the state/city/country you work in. Federally and here in NYC, unless you are a public servant (elected) or governemnt employee, or otherwise working under any type of written agreement or contract, then you are an "at will" employee who can be terminated for any reason, or no reason at all. However, if you are a protected class: minority (non-caucasian); old (over 59); gay or female, then you can file to have your termination reviewed. If you are in a protected class, then you can file an action against your employer, whether for termination, simple discrimination or some other slight. What's even better is: if you file a discrimination action (regardless if its settled, you lose or win), and then get fired, then you can sue for "retaliation".

Unfortunately, as a straight, caucasian, 29 year old, American male I have no protection like that.
Most places have at will employment which means that, no they really dont HAVE to.
In private industry... no.

Unless it is for something like race, creed, religion, sex... you get the point, then they can fire you for what ever they want.

Don't like your haircut? See ya.

You work at their pleasure. they do not owe you employment.
Usually, no they don't have to tell you. The employment contract that you signed probably says that you are an "at will" employee, which means that they can fire you whenever they feel like it, for no reason.

Similarly, you can quit any time for no reason.
yes they are obligated to do in writing. but if you apply for benefits they have to disclose why. but when looking for unemployment they are not supposed tell why. (legally)
Well, they don't _need_ much of a reason, but any responsible employer is going to document the reasons for any termination and get you to sign off on them, if only to limit their own liability, should any question of an improper termination arise. If an employer is not willing to give any reason for firing you, I'd asume something fishy is going on, though it still might not be something actionable.

For instance, I was once fired from a job I had for two weeks under similar circumstances. I later discovered that the only reason they let me go was so they could have an opening in the staff to hire the boyfriend of one of the managers. Totally not illegal, but still totally sleazy, and I understood why they were so unwilling to discuss the matter with me. They just wanted me out of the way so they could give my job to someone else.
no not unless they want too... either you didnt do or did something that they didnt like or theyjust didnt need ya anymore
No.

Unless you're under contract, you're an "employee at will." They can fire you just because they didn't like your tie or for no reason whatsoever.
If you live in an "at will employment" state, then no - they don't have to give you a reason why. But again, you don't have to give 2 weeks notice before leaving a job, either.
I believe they have to let you know the reason. I would check with the Labor Board if the guy won't let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment