Saturday, August 8, 2009

Do I have the right to have my posts deleted?

Before I knew much about the internet, I wrote some stupid posts to a yahoo group. I want these deleted, but since I made myself pretty unpopular, and they booted me, the moderators are ignoring me completely. My name is rare, and because of that it is embarrassing to have such posts written under my name. Someone has already tracked me down to that group. Should i be worried?? I am taking it so seriously that I am wondering whether i should make it a legal matter. Can they be forced by law to delete the posts?? Oh, I am bipolar, so I wasn't in my right mind when i wrote the posts (obviously).
Answers:
Once you posted your rants they became the property of Yahoo and not you. They can, at their discretion, be willing to remove the posts, but if you didn't make any friends through your previous actions, it is unlikely that they would be willing to. I would delete my user ID and my current account and simply begin anew.
No, you have no rights - you willingly published in a public place, and now you are stuck with the fact that Internet content lives forever. Nothing you can do about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment